Thursday, January 26, 2012

Smell the Roses

Okay so one of my favorite blogs, Lovely Little Things, does this really awesome thing every week called Smell the Roses.  Its just a very small task each week to remind us to slow down and appreciate the little things.  Anyway this one was to buy a stranger a cup of coffee.  So here's how it went down:

I decided the easiest way to do this was to buy the car behind me's coffee at Starbucks.  So I got up early for class, made sure I had extra time to stop by Starbucks (bc I normally make my own coffee at home) and get this done.  I was so nervous for some reason, which is totally silly, I am aware.  But what if no one came through the drive through?! Then my whole plan would be foiled. Anyway, I got lucky and a car pulled into the drive through right behind me.  When the girl at the window came to take my card, I just tried to casually say "hey, I'd like to also pay for the car behind me's coffee as well" but it came out more like this "heyi'dliketoalsopayforthecarbehindmescoffeeaswell" yes, my nerves got the best of me.  She didn't understand my gibberish so I repeated myself a little calmer and she just smiled and said "what a great thing to do" I instantly felt relieved.  Anyway, a few minutes later she came back with my skinny vanilla latte and a receipt for the car behind me.  I looked at the receipt and then looked in my rearview mirror to see that I had just bought a mom and her 2 kids their drinks.  She had her head in her hands and looked like she was having a terrible morning.  My heart broke. So I pulled over to the side (kind of creepy sounding I know) and watched as she pulled up to the window and the lady told her her coffee had been paid for.

Seeing her face light up made it so worthwhile and so worth my nerves and slight embarrassment. Not only did this little task make me slow down for a second it also made me realize that even though I have a lot going on in my life, there is someone else out there having a worse day then me.

Anyway, link up with Jessica for this awesome little challenge! Definitely made my week!


Lovely Little Things

xox,

2 comments:

  1. GIRL! This is awesome :)
    Thank you so much for linking up.
    What a great story! Made my heart happy as I read it.

    " Not only did this little task make me slow down for a second it also made me realize that even though I have a lot going on in my life, there is someone else out there having a worse day then me."

    ^^ I love that :)

    PS - I get skinny vanilla lattes, too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mama mysel I KNOW you made that lady's day!

    One of my secret goals? To one day pay for someone's groceries in line.

    ReplyDelete