Saturday, March 24, 2012

Two Years

Two years ago my family and I received a devastating phone call that has forever changed our lives.  Two years ago on this day, my parents received news that my stepdad, Keith's, scan showed a tumor in his brain.

An inoperable tumor.

At first, I panicked.  At first, I cried.  Keith is practically my father.  I was terrified for him.  But it was then that I felt the peace and comfort of God wash over me and I knew from then on that I was going to be strong.  Even though I felt weak.  That we were going to fight.  Even though I didn't know how.  We were never going to stop fighting.

From then we received even more devastating news that it was cancer, stage four, glioblastomic brain cancer.  [see the post I wrote about it a while back here].  The doctors gave him six months to live.  Screw them.   We researched and found a doctor who would operate on his tumor.  He survived 16 hours of brain surgery, chemo, radiation, more chemo, and now an anti angiogenic therapy called Avastin [see more about his journey here and here

He has fought.

He has persevered.

And I so am happy to say that two years later he is still here.   Two years ago, I was terrified.  Terrified of losing someone so important to me to this terrible disease.  Even though some days I still am terrified,  I am hopeful.  Hopeful for many more years of happiness with him.

If you have ever said a small prayer or even had a side thought about my family and my stepdad's continued fight to beat this cancer, thank you  I will never be able to find the words to thank you enough.


Today we are thankful, and we will never stop fighting.

Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. Here's to another two years. And two more after that! And two more after that... Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family are definitely in my prayers! God is love.

    katelyn-innervision.blogspot.com

    - Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy I saw this. We found out my grandma had a brain tumor last summer.she has since passed away but nothing makes me happier than hearing a story like this! Such a miracle! I will be praying for your family!!god bless!
    -Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your grandma. But thank you so much for your prayers.
    xox.

    ReplyDelete